Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How to add Favicon

Adding a favicon to Blogger blogs is very easy just follow my easy steps and you will be done in just a minute, for those who don't know what Favicon is 'Favicon also called as Favourite Icon, Pageicon and urliconis is a small icon(image) displayed at the beginning of the address bar of the browser.

The main advantage of creating and using favicon is it makes it easy to find your blog or site when someone favourited or bookmarked your site/blog among several other sites.

Most people use 16*16 pixel favicon but you can also use a 32x32 pixel size favicon with ".ico" format. But, you can also use gif, png(image formats) as well.

1. Create a Favicon.

To create a Favicon all you need is a program to create a favicon in (.ico) format. You can also use png or gif format if you don't have a program to create in .ico format. But if you don't have a program to create a favicon there's a lot of online favicon generator that can make favicon for you. Visit these sites http://www.genfavicon.com/ or http://www.graphicsguru.com/favicon.php or you can just search at Google using the keywords free online 16*16 icon generator , free online generator or free favicon generator.

2. Upload your favicon

When you are done creating your favicon, upload your favicon to any image hosting sites and get it's direct link URL.

3. Copy the code below


<link href='FAVICON URL' rel='shortcut icon' type='image/"image format"/ >

replace FAVICON URL with your favicon url
replace image format with image format of your favicon
ex. if you use GIF for your favicon replace "image/image format" with
image/GIF

4. Paste it After the <HEAD> code

5. Save your template and your done.

9 comments:

:-) MaryLou said...

I couldn't get it to work. :-(

I made the icon, loaded it, pasted in the code and made the changes, and... nothing changed.

Anonymous said...

try to load your site using mozilla or other browser other IE. favicon doesn't load on IE browser

Anonymous said...

hi..can you help me with my problem. i hope you can. i wanna post a scrollbar on the blogroll widget to save space. hope you can help me with step by step instructions on how to do it..

any help would be appreciated..

muchos gracias.. :)

Anonymous said...

@borski and nai

no problem... I'm currently on vacation, when i get back home I'll immediately post a guide on how you can add a scrollbar on your widget.

Unknown said...

Great tips, Thanks! I would like to know how to modify my template to have 3 columns in one of your future posts.

Anonymous said...

your welcome. I'm glad that you find my posts useful.

yes i will do that. i will also post on how to setup a 3 column on your template footer

Anonymous said...

It didn't work.. I did it this way.. Did I make it right? I placed it after the HEAD CODE.Pls help me.. I really wanna have my own favicon.
pls do email me

lovekainis@yahoo.com

I will be waiting.I'm using firefox anyway

Anonymous said...

I visited your site and viewed your code and i see that you didn't follow step #3.

change the line type='image/"image format" to type='image/"jpg"

goodluck :)

DineometerDeb said...

Aha! That's what those little things are called.